Although it may be strange to think of it this way, when you are looking for financial advice you are shopping. You are shopping for the best advice, the most knowledgeable lawyer, someone who makes you comfortable and understands you and your finances, and yes, you are shopping for the best price. What is the best price? Is it the lowest fee you are quoted? The answer to the question of what is the best price depends on many factors. When comparing fees you should know:
- whether the amount you are quoted is the total you will pay or do you have to pay other charges like court costs, or other expenses
- whether you will meet with a lawyer to discuss your case and how long will your meeting will last (avoid any firm that passes you off to a secretary or paralegal)
- whether you will be able to call your lawyer after your first meeting and get answers to your questions from your lawyer as opposed to his staff
- how many years has the attorney been practicing bankruptcy law
- what percentage of the lawyer's practice is devoted to bankruptcy work
You should take all of these factors into account to determine where your money is best spent. Hiring an inexperienced lawyer because he charges a smaller fee may leave you without the help you need. Bankruptcy has become a very complicated area of the law and you need an attorney who knows what he or she is doing if you want your case to run smoothly. The bankruptcy courts monitor the fees attorneys charge. In addition, most lawyers in an area charge very similar fees. The fees charged by our Birmingham and Tuscaloosa Bankruptcy lawyers are similar to the fees charged by other lawyers in Birmingham and Tuscaloosa.
What Makes Us Unique
While our fees are similar, our Birmingham and Tuscaloosa lawyers' approach to their bankruptcy practice differs from that of many other lawyers. First, you will always meet with one of our lawyers. When you have questions are concerns, they will always be handled by a lawyer. Our Birmingham and Tuscaloosa lawyers are committed to providing you excellent service. Second, our lawyers are available to speak with you by phone 7 days a week from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Third, our lawyers will schedule appointments at times convenient to you. Fourth, almost 100% of our lawyers' practice is devoted to helping people solve debt problems. Finally, our Birmingham and Tuscaloosa lawyers will spend the time needed to get to know you and your financial situation. As a general rule, you should expect your first meeting to last between 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours.